Saturday, June 10, 2006

Fever Part 2

The truth is, due to my unwavering loyalty to my senior year of high school boyfriend, until two weeks ago, I figured I'd witnessed enough soccer matches (sorry, but that's what we call it over across that there pond). I figured I'd put in enough time enthusiastically cheering for a game wherein scoring seemed next to impossible back when I was 17. So when I moved to England and a friend remarked,"Ohhh you'll be there for the World Cup; that'll be craaaazy" I was less than plussed (I figure if there's a non-plussed there can be a less than).
But seeing all these England flags pop up all over the place, and people at school picking their teams in the pool C* drew up and fnding little Diet Coke bottles in the shape of s----r balls at the grocery store....not to mention the new FABULOUS Krispy Kreme World Cup Doughnut....well, it's hard to not get sucked in. I'm a bit dismayed to read about the violence that took place a couple of hours ago at Canary Wharf where they broadcast the England game on two giant screens (especially considering probably everyone there was supporting the same team). Nonetheless, I intend to watch Monday as the American team plays the first game in their series...yup, that's right, I who thought those days were over. I *might* even begin referring to the game as football.
So Woohoo World Cup!
Then again, I might just be in it for the doughnuts..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the solution might be for you to adopt the tactic of some of our other overseas cousins, and call it 'futbol' instead...